Members of our 4-H Horse Program!
Share your interest in horses with others in our 4-H Horse Programs!
The 4-H Horse Program is the most popular animal project in Albany County. Over 110 youth are enrolled in the horse program. Horse events include:
- Onondaga County Horse Show – the shows are run by volunteer 4-H Leaders and usually occur in July. Class lists and show rules are available from the 4-H Office.
- Horse Bowl – Onondaga County hosts the County event where 4-H’ers answer questions using the infamous “buzzers”. The participants have lots of fun!
- Hippology Program – the term “hippology” means the study of horses. This program consists of four workshops given in October, November, January and February. 4-H members then test their knowledge at the county Hippology contest, and then play Jeopardy to learn their answers.
- Clinics – clinics and workshops are held throughout the year to provide 4-H members with additional skills and knowledge in a given topic area.
- Regional Level Events – there are three contests that are held on a regional level – Hippology, Horse Bowl, and Horse Presentations. Those 4-H’ers who do well at the county level may be asked to represent Onondaga County at one of these events.
- State-Wide Events – many of the regional events also lead to state-wide contests where 4-H horse members compete against other members from across New York State. Some of these events take place at Cornell University while others take place at the New York State Fair.
- Events at the National Level – it is truly an honor for 4-H members to be chosen to test their skill against youth from across the nation.
National 4-H Curriculum
Horse Curriculum Set of 6
Last updated September 21, 2017